The Reading Corner: Uglies

Tuesday 9 July 2013

Hello everyone! I've been filling my amazon wishlist up with a lot of books lately and i received a  voucher to spend at amazon, so i thought i'd whittle down my wishlist and purchased two books from a trilogy. I've just finished reading the first book in the series and i'm going to share my thoughts with you. 





Since the Hunger Games graced our bookshelves and our screens people have been going crazy for fictional, fantasy community type books.To be honest i never understood the hype, i thought the books were good and the film was alright but it didn't blow me away. However the Uglies trilogy came out before the Hunger Games and frankly i believe i'm going to enjoy this series a heck of a lot. 
Anyway the plot of this series is based around a girl named Tally who lives in the community of Uglies and on her 16th birthday she will have an operation that will turn her Pretty, giving her the lifestyle of her dreams. However her friend doesn't want to become pretty and wants to live on the outside, her  friend runs away. Tally must then face the decision of finding her friend and turning her in or never become pretty. 
I've been hooked to this book since the day it arrived, each chapter makes me want to keep reading because the clever writing of this book makes the end of each chapter seem like a mini cliffhanger. Also each chapter isn't too long so if you want an easy read, this book is perfect. This message of this book is also very apparent throughout, referring a lot to being yourself and don't become a mindless sheep following the flock. To me this book  kept bringing the same quote into my head the whole time i was reading it which is "a pretty face is nothing if you have an ugly heart." 
This book will be a great read for teenagers and even people in their twentys. I've just started reading the next book which is Pretties and so far it's as good as the first one but you're going to have to wait to find out my final thoughts in a later post.

Have you read this book yet?
Thank you for stopping by!
Don't forget to follow me on Twitter and Bloglovin'
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

 photo blanklogofull.png